201815/06/2018 Leica Camera AG presents numerous exhibitions to celebrate the opening of the new complex in Wetzlar With the opening of the new Leitz-Park complex, visitors have the opportunity to view numerous exhibitions in the new premises of Leica Camera AG and in the Leica Galerie Wetzlar. A particular highlight in the new museum building is the anniversary exhibition ‘Eyes Wide Open! 100 Years of Leica Photography’, which, after celebrating successes at numerous venues around the globe, is making a guest appearance at Leitz-Park until the end of October.
- 13/06/2018 Ernst Leitz Werkstätten: Opening of the manufacture and presentation of the Leica Watch With the inauguration of the third phase of the Leitz-Park, the “Ernst Leitz Werkstätten” commences operations and establishes a completely new and exclusive product line in the Leica Camera AG portfolio: mechanically highly complex and sophisticated watches made in small series. The Ernst Leitz Werkstätten is housed on the latest phase of Leitz-Park and offers a fascinating insight into the elaborate production of “Made in Germany” watches through the manufacture’s viewing windows. Their premises include an assembly workshop, a consulting studio and a store.
‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award’: The twelve finalists have been chosen
The twelve finalists of this year’s Leica Oskar Barnack Award (LOBA) have been chosen. The complete portfolios from the categories ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award’ and ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award Newcomer’ can now be viewed at www.leica-oskar-barnack-award.com. Around 2,500 photographers from a total of 110 different countries submitted entries to the LOBA competition in 2018.
- 06/06/2018 In the ‘Illuminated’ campaign, photographers explore cities of the world with the Leica Q Leica Camera AG presents an interactive multi-content campaign: ‘Illuminated’ is a journey of discovery on which seven photographers each travel to a city that was previously unknown to them with a Leica Q. Each journey – whether to Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney, Berlin, Milan or New York – has its own unique theme, within the bounds of which the photographers create a pictorial portfolio and publish it on the website www.illuminated.leica-camera.com.
- 05/06/2018 Dr Marita Paasch appointed COO of Leica Camera AG The Supervisory Board of Leica Camera AG has appointed Dr Marita Paasch (52) to the position of Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the company with effect from 1 June 2018. Dr Paasch assumes executive responsibility for the areas Operations, Research & Development, Procurement, Customer Care and Supply Chain Management from her predecessor, Markus Limberger (47).
- 04/06/2018 New flash system: the compact and versatile Leica SF 60 flash unit and the Leica SF C1 remote control unit for on- and off-camera flash photography Leica Camera AG presents the new SF 60 flash unit and the SF C1 remote control unit as perfect additions to the Leica S, SL and M systems. The two units can also be used in combination with the Leica Q and the Leica CL. While the flash unit provides an extensive range of options for flash-photography in a compact form, the remote control unit enables off-camera flash with the SF 60 and provides countless additional creative opportunities.
- 22/05/2018 Newly founded Global Leica Akademie has expanded the international Leica Akademie network and now presents its programme for 2018 The Leica Akademie can look back on a long tradition. For almost ninety years, the oldest and most prestigious of all modern schools of photography has accompanied dedicated photographers on their way to the creation of the best possible picture. For more than a decade, the Leica Akademie has also seen successful expansion on an international scale. Photographers around the globe can currently experience a varied programme covering the whole world of Leica photography at the 15 Leica Akademie locations in selected cities in North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. The aim of the newly founded Global Leica Akademie is the successive expansion of the international network of Leica Akademies. To accompany this, a new programme of events has been compiled. Participants from around the world can look forward to exciting photographic tours in Germany with a visit to the Leitz-Park in Wetzlar and exclusive insights into the world of Leica.
- 18/05/2018 Leica Camera AG and CW Sonderoptic GmbH award the ‘Leica Cine Discovery Prize’ to Jacqueline Lentzou This year’s Leica Cine Discovery Prize, awarded in the course of the ‘La Semaine de la Critique’ film festival, goes to the filmmaker’ Jacqueline Lentzou. Leica Camera AG and CW Sonderoptic GmbH congratulate the winner. Her film, ‘Ektoras Malo’, was honoured in the category ‘Short Film’, which includes prize money of 4,000 euros. In ‘Ektoras Malo’, the story takes place at New Year’s Eve and touches on elements such as loneliness and neglect. Sofia, the young protagonist, must come to terms with her doubts between excitement and sadness.
- 16/05/2018 Bruce Davidson receives the Leica Hall of Fame Award 2018 On 15 June 2018, Leica Camera AG will be honouring American photographer Bruce Davidson with the Leica Hall of Fame Award. In his honour, a selection of pictures from his extensive oeuvre will be shown in the context of a major exhibition that will open to the public in the Leica Gallery in Wetzlar on 15 June and continue until 9 September 2018.
- 10/04/2018 Leica Camera AG returns this year as official partner of ‘La Semaine de la Critique’ of Cannes Film Festival 2018 For the third year in succession, Leica Camera AG will be the official partner of the internationally renowned ‘La Semaine de la Critique’ – parallel section of Cannes Film Festival – and will be awarding the ‘Leica Cine Discovery Prize’ for the best newcomer in the short film category together with its affiliate CW Sonderoptic GmbH. La Semaine de la Critique (from 9th to 17th May 2018) focuses on the work of young and innovative filmmakers and is considered to be one of the world’s most influential film festivals. Continuing their support for young talents, Leica Camera AG and CW Sonderoptic GmbH will again be awarding the ‘Leica Cine Discovery Prize’ in the course of the renowned film festival.